The Church Santa Maria at San Celso, originally an antique sanctuary in Milan, is located in Corso Italia.
The interior of the church is clear testimony to the Renaissance during the 16th century in Milan. There are numerous altar pieces and frescoes adorn the internal walls of the building; Antonio Campi, Bergognone and Giulio Cesare Procaccini are amongst the artists that took part in its decoration. The original architectural design provided for a church with a circular floor plan and, for this reason, an octagonal cupola, ornate with 12 terracotta statues by Agostino De Fondulis, was the first part to be constructed.
In 1506, modifications to the pre-existing plan from 1494 (carried out by Amadeo) were carried out. A three-naved longitudinal body was added and a presbytery and ambulatory in the shape of a polygon, based on the model of the Duomo (cathedral), were introduced.
On the right of the sanctuary you can see what remains of the church of San Celso, partly demolished in the nineteenth century to give light in Santa Maria dei Miracoli: the current facade, designed by Luigi Canonica, dates back to 1851-54.
Anecdotes and curiosities
For centuries it has been tradition for Milanese brides to carry a bunch of flowers to the statue of the Virgin Mary displayed in the church, right after their wedding.
Not to lost
Paintings of great artistic value such as “Battesimo di Gesù” (“The Baptism of Jesus”) by Gaudenzio Ferrari and “Caduta di San Paolo” (“The Fall of Saint Paul”) by Moretto da Brescia. Of particular interest is the beautiful altarpiece by Paris Bordone in the right transept and the choir that is decorated with stalls designed by various artists; the wooden lectern was designed by Giuseppe Meda.
The sanctuary of Santa Maria dei Miracoli can be reached by tram number 12, 15, 24 and by bus number 94.