Situated in piazza del Duomo next to the Palazzo Reale, the Arengario dates back to the 1930s. The building was constructed between 1939 and 1956, after the demolition of the “Manica Lunga” (Long Arm) extension of the Palazzo Reale, from a project designed by the architects Portaluppi, Muzio, Magistretti and Griffini. The two floors were horizontally divided into series of loggias and covered with slabs of Candoglia marble.
The façade of the pavilion is opened up on the first and second levels with a double series of elevated semi circular arches. These floors lie over the ground level that is also opened up by large rectangular porticoes and decorated with bas-relief, by the sculptor Arturo Martini.
From 2007 to 2010 the Arengario was undergoing refurbishing and restructuring and now it has become the Museo del Novecento (20th Century Art Museum).
The Museum represents one of Europe’s most important cultural locations: the exhibition space, that spans over more than 4 000 square meters of the Palazzo Arengario together with a portion of the Royal Palace, have been completely renovated and offer an impressive display with over four hundred works of 20th century art. The Museum is open to the public from December 6th 2010.
Anecdotes and curiosities
Not to lost
It can be reached by MM1/MM3 Duomo stop; Tram number 1, 2, 3, 12, 14, 15, 16, 19, 23, 24, 27; Autobus 54.