Palazzo Cusani, home of the 3° Corpo d'Armata
  •       >

Palazzo Cusani

General information

Palazzo Cusani is the result of the three centuries of history that the building has lived through. The combination of different architectural styles, 18th century and 19th century artisan techniques and decorations make the magnificent palazzo one of the most elegant in the city.

 

The central hub is based around a rectangular courtyard with arcades on both sides designed by the seventeenth century architect Richini. The imposing front facade that stands splendidly on via Brera was built from 1715 to 1717 by the architect Giovanni Ruggeri, upon the wishes of Cardinal Agostino III Cusani (1655 – 1730).     

 

It is made up of two doors framed by a pair of decorative corner pilasters. The neoclassic posterior facade which overlooks the garden was created by the architect Giuseppe Piermarini from 1775 to 1790 and is adorned with both decorative and supporting pilasters. The entire building is embellished with allegorical figures and natural elements.

 

On the interior, the central staircase leads to the main floor of a wing occupied by the Circle of the Official Army Command of Lombardy and is subdivided into eight spaces. All the rooms have a beautifully elegant atmosphere and abound in works of art like, for example, the Officers Circle that has paintings from the artists Alfonso Cattaneo, Carlo Bellosio and Domenico Induno plus furnishings originally from Palazzo Reale and Cà Morosini in Venice; the large Salone delle Feste is decorated with ancient furnishings and the vaulted ceiling is embellished with a figurative fresco.

The Sala del Caffè is decorated in Luigi XVI style and is adorned with hunting symbols. La Sala della Braida has silk wallpaper and nineteenth century paintings from the Brera Academy and, last but not least, also well worth noting are the Sala delle Allegorie and the Sala dell’Ingegno.

 

Since its construction the building has always been a military headquarters; in the Napoleonic reign it was designated as premises of the War Ministry, nowadays it is premises of the 3rd Armoured Corps.

Don't miss

The elegant Sala della Braida is neoclassical in style with a splendid chessboard patterned parquet floor and walls embellished with silk wallpaper. Beautiful black framed mirrors sit side by side with six nineteenth century paintings from the Brera Academy that depict classic legends, mythology and romantic themes.

 

The symbols of the four seasons and the parables on human thought that evoke the Muses of the arts and sciences are frescoed on the vaulted ceiling of the Sala delle Allegorie that is decorated with furniture and a fireplace in Imperial style. Over the fireplace is a cast iron coat of arms of the Cusani family that was only discovered in 1993.

Useful details

The palazzo can be reached by the metropolitana MM2 (green line) stop Lanza - Piccolo Teatro and by tram numbers: 3; 12; 14.

Mediagallery

    • loading
      • Ticket information

        Admission free

      • loading