The service you are requesting requires authentication.
Studio Museo Francesco Messina
PLEASE NOTICE: due to refurbishment works the Museum will be closed until JANUARY 2019.
The Studio Museum houses 80 sculptures and 26 artworks on paper chosen among the most beautiful works made by the Sicilian artist. These works of art were created during the whole career of the artist and testify his great technical ability and his interest for realism.
The majority of the sculptures that are here on display are made of bronze, but there are also some precious artworks made of polychrome terracotta, plaster, marble and wax, expressive of that vital instant that animates the running horses and the supple dancers or the faces of famous (or less famous) people of the 20th century.
The artworks on paper depict the same subjects of the sculptures: nudes, horses, portraits. To realize these graphic works of art the artist used various techniques: there are lithographs, watercolours, pencil and pastel drawings.
Not to be missed are the series of bronze and wax portraits. Of great value are the Ritratto di giovane biondo (Portrait of a blonde boy) and the two bronze and wax sculptures that depict Cardinal Schuster.
The Ritratto di giovane biondo (Portrait of a blonde boy) is a later elaboration of the Selfportrait by Francesco Messina that dates back to 1934.
- A wheelchair user cannot independently get to the entrance and enter the museum. The rooms on the ground floor are accessible. The visitor cannot independently reach and access the toilets available.
- Bronze sculptures are available for tactile experiences.
- Reservations and inquiries can be made by telephone and /or email.
- Free entry for disabled visitors.
- The museum is not equipped with any audible or visual fire alarm systems but, in case of emergency, the alarm is given by the staff on duty.